Monday, July 7, 2008

If You Were an Animal...?

If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
I would be a slug. At least today I would be... Okay, who am I kidding? Often I would be. I had the day off and I slept late into the morning, watched some episodes of Lost on DVD, checked my email, read some blogs, slept some more, made one phone call, and managed to drag myself out of the bedroom a couple of times to eat. Oh, and I also shaved and showered at some point and exercised for about 20 seconds.

Thankfully people were around the house this evening, so I walked down the block to get a sandwich from the corner deli with Sharaya (the sandwich was cheap but delicious- worthy of it's own post sometime) and spent some time catching up with other housemates who I haven't seen for a few days. A few of us helped my roommate Greg move some of his belongings into our new apartment. (I haven't written about it yet, but I am moving to a new apartment down the block at the end of July. I'll write more about that in the future.)

After we were done moving a load into the apartment we met Jimmy, one of our new neighbors. Actually, Greg introduced himself (he's fearless like that) and then we talked for a little while. Jimmy was born in the neighborhood in 1951. He moved away for a bit, but it sounds like most of his life has been lived in the townhouse next to my future home. He told us all about the different stores and buildings that used to be on our street. He had great stories about the neighbors he grew up around. I could write a whole entry about his stories. He knows a lot of the block's history and has seen a lot of its highs and lows. Jimmy told us that now that we know him, if anyone gives us problems, we can just let him know. He said we met the right person. As Greg told Jimmy, we will try to live up to the name of "neighbor".

I'm off to bed now. I have to be up for work no later than 3:30 a.m. tomorrow. YUCK! I was getting used to being up early for awhile, but lately my shifts have been scheduled for later in the morning. I prefer to get the workday over sooner rather than later, but I am out of practice. Good night!

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

You're moving? That's exciting. Can't wait to see pics of the new place.
I am cracking up at y'all meeting Jimmy. That's great! I'm laughing because I'm picturing him like the Jimmy from The Whole Nine Yards. Does he call himself "Yimmy"?