Thursday, May 29, 2008

Something New

So I bought a bike last weekend. Isn’t it a nice looking bike? This is a turn of events in my life that I never expected… like so many other things. Riding a bike on the streets of New York? Not something I ever thought I’d be bold enough to do. I would see bikers riding around and think it would be great if I was brave or insane enough to try it, and then for some reason I thought maybe I was insane enough to try it. So now here I am, a new biker in the City.

One of the reasons I decided to try biking is for exercise. I have never been one to exercise much for the sake of exercise and the health benefits that go with it. After moving here and being more active, I have started to feel good about exercise. I walk a lot, of course, which has helped me physically, and I think seeing positive results from that have been very motivational for me. Biking allows me to exercise in a very functional way. I am getting where I need to be and I am improving my health at the same time. When I take the train I spend about the same amount of time walking, waiting on a train and then getting to my destination. I am still a fan of public transit and will continue to use it, but I am glad to be biking as well.

I will be writing more posts about biking in the near future. There’s more to share! Be looking for information about Transportation Alternatives, an organization I recently joined and am very excited about!

No comments: