Sunday, May 11, 2008

Raising an Ebenezer

Today my sister Jennifer graduated Magna Cum Laude from The College of the Ozarks with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology. I'm so proud of her. She actually finished courses in December, but the school only has graduation ceremonies in May. It's a great school. It also has one of the most beautiful campuses I've seen.

I decided that I wanted to be here for the graduation, so I planned a surprise trip back to the Midwest. I didn't tell my sister or my parents that I was coming, and with a lot of help from family and friends, I actually pulled off the surprise! I spent some time with people in Wichita and then met my brother Jerry and his wife Shelby in Salina. (Thanks for the ride Uncle Steve and Aunt Alice!) Jerry and Shelby live in Colorado and were also coming out for the weekend. The fact that graduation was on Mother's Day weekend was also a plus!



I'm glad I was able to be here for the graduation and to spend some time with my family. It's a good thing to walk in one's graduation ceremony. As boring as ceremonies can be, I believe they are a valuable way for us to honor people and big events in their lives, and to remind ourselves about important things.


One of the most moving moments of the ceremony was when the college recognized an Army Captain who finished his schooling in 2005 and was unable to attend the graduation ceremony because he was deployed for a tour of duty in Iraq. He is currently stationed in Alaska and he, his wife and their two daughters came to Hollister for this year's graduation. The school gave him special recognition and presented him with his diploma, after which he received a loud standing ovation from the crowd. It was a powerful moment...the kind that brings a lot of people to tears. Wow.

So here I am in Ozark, Missouri. I will write more about my trip in the coming days. Right now, however, I'd better get back to family time.

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh, how glad I am that you updated your blog from Missouri!!! I am SO SAD that I am not there with you guys. If only I had a private jet that could fly me wherever I wish to be. :-) Y'all have been in my thoughts this weekend. Congratulations to Cousin Jennifer!!!
Was there a dry eye in the house with the man from Iraq? I would have been bawling.

I love you guys!! And miss y'all!