Monday, March 10, 2008

Union Square



I really enjoy the walk from The West Village along 14th Street to Union Square. I've walked it a few times after church or work, then I catch the subway at that station. It's a nice park in the middle of the city where you can grab a bite to eat and just sit for awhile. This is also where I attended the rally to fight Human Trafficking.




Today as I approached the Square I heard loud chanting over a microphone. As I got nearer I saw a fairly large crowd gathered, holding U.S. and Tibetan flags. The crowd was demonstrating against the Beijing Olympics and calling for a Free Tibet. I got a gyro from a vendor there and listened to some of the rally.





Walking to Union Square and sometimes finding what new issue is being rallied for/against is one of my favorite things to do in New York so far. For one thing, it's interesting to see groups of people gathered to make a statement. I haven't seen a lot of that in my experiences, I guess. Also, it's interesting to see people who care so passionately about an issue that they would organize a gathering to let a lot of people know about it. It makes me wonder what I care about that strongly. I realize just attending a rally doesn't make one a great fighter for peace or justice. But it certainly shows that one is taking a stand for something they find to be important.


The lower picture shows the equestrian George Washington statue that stands in the square. In the background you can see the top of the Empire State Building.

4 comments:

DP said...

Hey Matt,
I just found your blog, and I hope you don't mind, but I shared the address with some of my family. It seems so exciting there in New York!
Nice pictures.

Janelle and Ella said...

Life certainly stays exciting in NYC! That last picture is very cool!

Unknown said...

Whenever I hear the word "Rally" I think of "Fievel Goes West" (a movie about a mouse) and the line there that the lisping mouse used: "You know, A Wawwy a gaverwing of mice for a poupise"

DP said...

I recently found some Youtube videos that were made in some NY places. If you have time, watch them! They're pretty clever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMj3PJDxuo