Monday, February 18, 2008

In Anticipation

I am getting ready to move to New York City. Wow. I love saying that.

I have about ten days before I leave for Kansas City, and then I'm taking the train to NYC the next morning. Part of me wishes this whole move were already over and I was settled into my new apartment.

Before that happens, however, I have a lot of packing and planning yet to do, and I continue to stay busy with my two part-time jobs here in Wichita. I still haven't said "Ciao" to most of my friends and family here in Kansas yet. It seems funny to say goodbye on such a grand scale, when I'm just moving to a new city. It's not like I am moving to a foreign country (though in some ways perhaps NYC is a foreign country compared to Wichita) or will not be back for visits. Yet, this is a big move and I do want to say goodbye. I am a very egocentric person. I crave attention badly, but when I get it, I tend to become shy about it.

I have secured an apartment in the Bed-Stuy neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. I already have an address in the City (officially as of March 1st)! I have two roommates who I am anxious to meet in person. The apartment is part of Radical Living, an intentional Chrisitan community in Brooklyn (http://radicalliving.wordpress.com/). The more I learn about this community of people, the more excited I get about living there and being a part of what's happening.

I am also excited about The Village Church (http://www.villagechurchnyc.com/), which meets in Greenwich Village in Manhattan. I have already visited the church and met with the pastor a couple of times. I've also been in touch with the leader of one of their homegroups which meets in Brooklyn. Everyone has been extremely welcoming.

Between Radical Living and The Village Church, I feel like God has already provided many opportunities for me to meet people in the City. Through Radical Living I will be living within a one-block radius of 13 people, who I will see at least once a month (if not a few times a week).

I know that I will be lonely during this move. I am already anticipating lying awake on my first night in Brooklyn, staring at the ceiling, wondering, "What am I doing?" But even so, I am excited about this move. Nervous? Yes. But excited nonetheless.

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

Matt, I can't tell you how excited I am for you!! This is so amazing! Sounds like God has already blessed this move in so many ways. I can't wait to hear all the adventurous stories through your blog (yeah for that)! Oh, and I definitely can't wait to come visit! You will have to show me so much since I've been! Now I have a great reason to visit the big city!